YouTube shooting: Female suspect 'angry over video postings'
The suspect in a gun attack at YouTube’s HQ in California had expressed anger more than its remedy of her video postings, media reports say.
Police have named Nasim Aghdam, 39, as the suspect but say they are nonetheless investigating a motive.
US media say Aghdam was angry that YouTube was filtering her videos and minimizing the funds she could make.
Tuesday’s attack left a man and two women injured with gunshot wounds. The attacker shot herself dead.
Police in San Bruno, California, say there is no proof however that the attacker knew the victims, a 36-year-old man said to be in a vital condition, and two girls aged 32 and 27.
- How YouTube shooting unfolded on the internet
What do we know of the suspect?
Nasim Aghdam lived in San Diego in southern California.
Police have revealed couple of specifics about her but US media said she ran a quantity of channels and a website, posting videos on a assortment of subjects which includes these highlighting animal cruelty. The channels have now been deleted.
Aghdam has been variously described as a vegan bodybuilder, artist and rapper.
In January 2017 she posted a video complaining that YouTube was filtering her content, top to fewer views.
On her site she also ranted against YouTube, saying: “Videos of targeted users are filtered and merely relegated, so that people can hardly see their videos.”
She also quotes Adolf Hitler, saying: “Make the lie large, make it straightforward, maintain saying it, and ultimately they will think it.”
She also wrote: “There is no equal growth opportunity on YouTube or any other video sharing website. Your channel will develop if they want [it] to!”
Aghdam’s father, Ismail, told nearby US media she was angry because YouTube had stopped paying her for videos.
Video posters can obtain money from linked ads but the company can “de-monetise” channels for different causes, taking adverts off. It is unclear if this happened with Aghdam’s material.
Her father stated Aghdam had been reported missing on Monday right after not answering calls for two days. Police later found her sleeping in her car in Mountain View, 25km (15 miles) south of the YouTube offices in San Bruno and reported this to her family, but they did not detain her.
Her father told police she may possibly go to YouTube as she “hated the company”, regional media mentioned.
YouTube terminated her account following the shooting. Her Instagram and Facebook accounts have also been removed.
Nevertheless, numerous Twitter customers posted her Facebook video rant against YouTube:
What happened in the attack?
The suspect is reported to have approached an outdoor patio and dining location at the offices in San Bruno, close to San Francisco, at about lunchtime on Tuesday and opened fire with a handgun.
San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini mentioned officers arrived at the offices at 12:48 (19:48 GMT) local time to locate a “chaotic scene”, with numerous people fleeing.
Pictures broadcast on regional Tv stations showed workers leaving with their hands raised. Other footage showed evacuees forming a queue ahead of getting individually frisked by police.
Police mentioned officers had “encountered a single victim with an apparent gunshot wound at the web site and two extra gunshot victims that had fled to a neighbouring company”.
Inside the complicated, officers then identified a lady dead from a gunshot wound that was believed to be self-inflicted.
An employee at a nearby fast food restaurant told Fox station KTVU he had treated a young woman who suffered a bullet wound to the leg.
He said he had fashioned a makeshift tourniquet from a bungee cord as they waited for initial responders.
Numerous YouTube employees tweeted about the attack as it was taking place.
Item manager Todd Sherman stated men and women fled the creating in panic as the shooting unfolded.
One more employee, Vadim Lavrusik, tweeted he was barricaded in a room with other employees. He later said he had been evacuated.
The 3 wounded had been taken to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. Officials stated the 32-year-old woman’s situation was critical and the 27-year-old’s condition was fair.
A fourth individual was also taken to hospital with an ankle injury sustained whilst attempting to escape, Mr Barberini stated.
Some 1,700 folks perform at the YouTube HQ. The company is owned by Google and is the area’s most significant employer.
There had been earlier media reports that the man shot was Aghdam’s boyfriend, but police later mentioned “At this time there is no proof that the shooter knew the victims of this shooting or that men and women have been specifically targeted.”
Such “active shooter” incidents are overwhelmingly carried out by males – an FBI report found that out of 160 incidents amongst 2000-2013, only six of the people who opened fire were ladies.
What is the reaction been?
YouTube spokesman Chris Dale praised the police response to the incident.
“These days it feels like the entire neighborhood of YouTube and all of the staff have been victims of this crime. Our hearts go out to those who suffered in this specific attack,” he said.
Another on-line giant, Twitter, mentioned it was horrified by the shooting and mentioned it was monitoring instances of misinformation.
President Donald Trump said he had been briefed about the incident.
Did you witness events described in this story? Please share your experiences with us by emailing.
Please contain a get in touch with number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also make contact with us in the following ways:
- WhatsApp: +447555 173285
- Tweet: @BBC_HaveYourSay
- Upload your images / video here
- Send an SMS or MMS to 61124 or +44 7624 800 100
Published at Wed, 04 Apr 2018 08:36:10 +0000