Thai cave rescue: Thai boys' tears for lost rescue diver Saman
The 12 young footballers who have been saved from a Thai cave following an international rescue work are mourning a former Navy Seal who died in the operation.
Volunteer diver Saman Gunan lost his life on six July although installing oxygen tanks in the flooded cave complex.
He has since been hailed as a hero around the globe.
The boys and their 25-year-old coach had been told of his sacrifice only on Saturday, when physicians decided they have been sturdy enough to method the news.
“All cried and expressed their condolences by writing messages on a drawing of Lieutenant Commander Saman and observed 1 minute of silence for him,” mentioned Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk, permanent secretary at the wellness ministry.
Images showed the “Wild Boars” football team, who are being monitored in hospital, gathered solemnly around a image of the diver.
“They also thanked him and promised to be very good boys,” the well being ministry said.
The boys, aged 11-16, had been pulled from the cavern by Thai Navy Seals and foreign cave diving professionals, in a three-day rescue push that ended on 10 July.
They are expected to leave Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital on Thursday, though many are nevertheless on antibiotics.
They will be watched for indicators of psychological distress, which may only turn into evident in the months to come. The boys have been advised against providing media interviews, which specialists say could trigger a post-traumatic reaction.
The youngsters and their coach had been invited to the final of the 2018 Globe Cup by its organiser, Fifa, but had to decline on medical grounds.
As the live game will be broadcast fairly late on Sunday 15 July (at 22:00 Thai time), physicians stated they will appreciate a recording later.
The boys’ nail-biting tragedy-turned-survival-story has been followed by millions worldwide given that 23 June, when they walked into the Tham Luang cave after football practice – only to be trapped by monsoon floods.
They had spent nine days in the cave with little food or light when British divers very first reached them on Monday two July.
Scores of volunteers and almost one hundred divers joined the work to totally free them, which saw the boys sedated and carried out on military stretchers.
Some of the specialists have expressed shock that Saman, 38, was the only person killed in the perilous venture.
His widow told the BBC: “He’s been praised as a hero due to the fact of who he was. He loved assisting other individuals, undertaking charity operate and getting issues done.”
- How the Thai boys were saved
- In photos: How the rescue unfolded
Around 4,000 volunteers are operating to clean up the location about the now-infamous cave, which was battered by relays of rescuers, volunteers and news crews.
Although the cave technique has been closed, officials have mentioned it could be reopened as a tourist attraction – with strict safeguards to avert future disasters.
Published at Sun, 15 Jul 2018 14:05:49 +0000