Migrant loved ones separations: States sue Trump administration
Seventeen US states have sued the Trump administration over its “cruel and unlawful” break-up of migrant families.
Democratic attorneys general from states including Washington, New York and California launched the lawsuit.
The legal action objects to the policy of refusing entry to asylum seekers at the US-Mexico border.
Meanwhile, Vice-President Mike Pence has warned undocumented immigrants not to “danger the lives of your children” by attempting to enter the US illegally.
At a news conference in Brazil, Mr Pence said he had a message “straight from my heart” for those planning a journey to America: “If you cannot come legally, do not come at all.”
“Do not threat your lives or the lives of your youngsters by attempting to come to the United States on a road run by drug smugglers and human traffickers,” Mr Pence added.
Massachusetts, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia plus the District of Columbia are the other states suing President Donald Trump’s administration.
In legal action filed on Tuesday with the US District Court in Seattle, Washington, Mr Trump’s 20 June order to hold migrant families with each other was also described as “illusory”.
It is the first legal challenge over family members separation from the states, which argue that the Republican president’s executive order denies migrant families due approach and the right to seek asylum.
Last week, Mr Trump known as for speedy deportations, just days soon after he issued the executive order.
States are now searching for a court order to reunite families and end the separation practice by declaring it “contrary to the Constitution”.
Tuesday’s lawsuit states that Mr Trump’s order does not mandate the finish of family members separation and says nothing at all about reuniting households who have currently been separated.
It also calls the policy “an affront” to the states’ interests in sustaining standards of care for youngsters and preserving parent-kid relationships.
“The policy, and the administration’s associated conduct, has triggered serious and immediate harm to the States and their residents.”
New Jersey Lawyer General Gurbir Grewal said in a statement that the practice of separating families “is cruel, plain and easy”, the Associated Press reported.
“Every single day, it appears like the administration is issuing new, contradictory policies and relying on new, contradictory justifications. But we can’t neglect – the lives of genuine men and women hang in the balance.”
A press release from New York Lawyer General Barbara Underwood referenced migrant young children held in New York City who have had to be treated for depression, anxiety and suicidal behaviour.
“By tearing children away from their parents and sending them hundreds of miles away, the Trump administration has already caused unfathomable trauma to these children, although undermining New York’s fundamental interests in protecting their health, security, and wellbeing,” Ms Underwood stated.
During a conference get in touch with with US media on Tuesday, the US overall health department’s Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) confirmed that 2,047 migrant youngsters had been currently still in the care of the agency.
The young children have been sent to holding cells, converted warehouses, desert tents or foster care around the US.
ORR mentioned there are 11,800 young children in the agency’s nationwide shelter network. Most of these children are unaccompanied minors who came across the border without having a parent or guardian.
ORR director Scott Lloyd refused to say whether or not the agency was nonetheless getting migrant kids who had been separated from their families.
Lawmakers on Capitol Hill have also requested details about the price of loved ones separation from DHS and HHS Secretaries Alex Azar and Kirstjen Nielsen.
“The public deserves a full and thorough accounting of precisely how significantly of their funds you have spent breaking up thousands of families on our southern border,” the letter reads.
More than 100 congressional lawmakers have signed the accounting request, which provides the agencies a deadline of ten July to detail the fees.
On Monday, the nation’s leading border safety official told reporters in Texas he had temporarily stopped referring migrants who illegally entered the nation with youngsters for criminal prosecution.
Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Commissioner Kevin McAleenan mentioned it followed Mr Trump’s order, but the president had suggested detaining families with each other alternatively.
The lawsuit is equivalent to the case against the Trump administration’s travel ban, which was initially blocked by Hawaii until the Supreme Court reversed the ruling on Tuesday morning.
Published at Wed, 27 Jun 2018 00:08:18 +0000