Michael Cohen, Syria (officially known as the Syrian Arab Republic (Arabic: الجمهورية العربية السورية al-Jumhūrīyah al-ʻArabīyah as-Sūrīyah), is a country in Western Asia, bordering Lebanon and the Mediterranean Sea to), Valentine’s Day: Your Wednesday Briefing
(Want to get this briefing (or briefs may refer to: Documents: A letter A Briefing note Papal brief, a papal letter less formal than a bull, sealed with the pope’s signet ring or stamped with the device borne on this ring) by e-mail? Here’s the sign-up.)
Here’s what you want to know (is a familiarity, awareness, or understanding of someone or something, such as facts, information, descriptions, or skills, which is acquired through experience or education by perceiving,):
Warnings about Russia and its bots
• We’re most likely not done hearing about Russian election meddling.
Moscow is utilizing fake social media accounts to deepen political and social divisions in the U.S., top intelligence (has been defined in many different ways including as one’s capacity for logic, understanding, self-awareness, learning, emotional knowledge, reasoning, planning, creativity, and problem solving) officials told Congress on Tuesday.
“There ought to be no doubt that Russia perceives its previous efforts as profitable and views the 2018 U.S. midterm elections (election is a formal group decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to hold public office) as a potential target for Russian influence operations,” mentioned Dan Coats, the director (may refer to) of national intelligence.
• President Trump has dismissed the thought of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and lashed out at those who suggest otherwise.
New timeline on disgraced aide
• For a lot more than a week (week is a time unit equal to seven days), the White Property has shifted its story (or stories may refer to: Narrative Story (surname) A news event or topic Story, or storey, a floor or level of a building Stories, colloquial, American expression for soap operas) about how and when it discovered about the domestic abuse allegations that led Rob Porter, 1 of President (president is a common title for the head of state in most republics) Trump’s best aides, to resign.
The story changed once again Tuesday when the F.B.I. director, Christopher Wray, mentioned the bureau had provided the White Home the results of its background check of Mr. Porter in January.
• White Residence officials (official is someone who holds an office (function or mandate, regardless whether it carries an actual working space with it) in an organization or government and participates in the exercise of) had previously mentioned the investigation was underway when (may refer to: When?, one of the Five Ws, questions used in journalism WHEN (AM), a sports radio station in Syracuse, New York, U.S. WHEN, the former call letters of TV station WTVH in Syracuse) the accusations from his two former wives came to light final week. Here’s what we know about the events.
“A private transaction”
• President Trump’s longtime personal lawyer paid $130,000 from his personal pocket to Stephanie Clifford, the pornographic-film actress identified as Stormy Daniels, who says she had an affair with Mr. Trump.
“The payment to Ms. Clifford was lawful, and was not a campaign contribution or a campaign expenditure by any person,” the lawyer (lawyer is a person who practices law, as an advocate, barrister, attorney, counselor, solicitor, not as a paralegal or charter executive secretary), Michael Cohen, told The Instances.
He has previously stated that Mr. Trump (most commonly refers to: Donald Trump (born 1946), 45th President of the United States, businessman, and television personality Trump (card games), any playing card given an ad-hoc high rank) denies the affair.
• The lawyer’s involvement was first reported by Maggie Haberman, 1 of our White Residence correspondents. She recently discussed the art of interviewing, and gave her predictions for 2018.
Charges recommended for Israeli leader
• Prime (prime number (or a prime) is a natural number greater than 1 that cannot be formed by multiplying two smaller natural numbers) Minister Benjamin Netanyahu need to be charged with bribery, fraud and breach of trust, the Israeli (are citizens or permanent residents of the State of Israel, a multiethnic state populated by people of different ethnic backgrounds) police stated on Tuesday following a yearlong graft investigation.
He is accused of accepting almost $300,000 in gifts, like high-priced cigars, jewelry and Champagne, in exchange for favors. If he is charged, it would (modal verbs of English are a small class of auxiliary verbs used mostly to express modality (properties such as possibility, obligation, etc.)) be a 1st for a sitting prime minister (may refer to: Minister (Christianity), a Christian minister Minister (diplomacy), the rank of diplomat directly below ambassador Minister (government), a politician the member of government who) in the country.
• “I feel a deep obligation to continue to lead Israel in a way that will (may refer to) guarantee our future,” Mr. Netanyahu later said in a televised address.
Shaun White returns to halfpipe gold
• In the course of today (may refer to: The day of the present, the time that is perceived directly, often called now)’s final run, the American snowboarder “opened up with a frontside double cork 1440 followed by a cab double cork 1440,” one particular of our reporters at the Winter Olympics writes.
Your briefing writer doesn’t know what that signifies, but the combination helped White win the gold medal, his third in 4 Olympics.
Right here are today’s benefits from the Games. You can discover all of our coverage here.
• Sam Manchester, a Times sports editor, is on the ground in Pyeongchang and sending messages to readers about what it’s like. Sign up here.
• “Stocks are as well expensive.” Inflated rates could discourage operate and capital investment, setting the stage for much more inequality, our economics columnist writes.
• A downturn in California isn’t likely anytime soon, economists say. But the state’s governor, Jerry Brown, desires it to start preparing.
• Netflix lured the hit-making producer Ryan Murphy from 21st Century Fox in a deal worth up to $300 million.
• U.S. stocks were up on Tuesday (is a day of the week occurring after Monday and before Wednesday). Here’s a snapshot of worldwide markets these days.
Ideas, both new and old, for a a lot more fulfilling life.
• Bringpositive power into your house, no matter how tight the space.
• Sex shouldn’t be painful. Here’s guidance from a gynecologist.
• Roman egg drop soup is a basic midweek recipe.
• A fog of war in Syria
Four Russians, and probably dozens far more, have been killed in current fighting in between pro-government forces in eastern Syria and members of the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State, according to Russian (refers to anything related to Russia, including: Russians (русские, russkiye), an ethnic group of the East Slavic peoples, primarily living in Russia and neighboring countries Rossiyane (россияне),) and Syrian officials.
The Kremlin has sidestepped inquiries, saying that any Russians who have been killed have (or having may refer to: the concept of ownership any concept of possession; see Possession (disambiguation) an English “verb” used: to denote linguistic possession in a broad sense as an auxiliary) been mercenaries, not members of the armed forces.
• 12,000 techniques to say “I adore you”
A collection of Valentine’s Day cards, from as early as the 1680s, features pop-ups, cutouts and Civil War soldiers.
These days (day, a unit of time, is approximately the period of time during which the Earth completes one rotation with respect to the Sun (solar day)) is also Ash Wednesday, which coincides with Valentine’s Day for the very first (or 1st is the ordinal form of the number one (#1)) time considering that 1945. It’s a dilemma for these observing Lent: extravagant displays of romantic love, or fasting and self-discipline?
• Value of privacy: $560 million
New Hampshire will not give a Powerball winner her income unless she lets her name be made public.
People are providing solutions, for a cut.
• Dogs have their day
Flynn, a bichon frisé with (or WITH may refer to: Carl Johannes With (1877–1923), Danish doctor and arachnologist With (character), a character in D. N. Angel With (novel), a novel by Donald Harrington With (album),) powder-puff fur, was named Best in Show at the 142nd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Tuesday.
Begging for much more? Right (are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal) here are photographs from the competition.
• Finding a lost strain of rice
The search for hill rice led to Trinidad and Thomas Jefferson, and now to excitement amongst African-American chefs.
• Greatest of late-night Tv
A number of comedy hosts are taking the week off, so our roundup is, also. It will return subsequent week.
• Quotation of the day
“I looked around and saw my competitors, they’re all performing these quads, and at the same time they’re a head shorter than me, they’re 10 years younger than me, and they’re the size of a single of my legs.”
— Adam Rippon, a figure skater on the U.S. Olympic group, on pressures he faced associated to physique image and consuming.
• The Occasions, in other words
Here’s an image (image (from Latin: imago) is an artifact that depicts visual perception, for example, a photo or a two-dimensional picture, that has a similar appearance to some subject—usually a physical object) of today’s front page, and hyperlinks to our Opinion content material and crossword puzzles.
Valentine (valentine is a card or gift given on Valentine’s Day, or one’s sweetheart)’s Day is widely thought to mark a wine-fueled festival for courting couples in ancient Rome.
But in North Korea, Feb. 14 signifies a various kind of affection. On this day in 2012, Kim Jong-il, who led the country from 1994 till his death in 2011, was posthumously named a “generalissimo.”
The announcement came two days just before what would have been Mr. Kim’s 70th birthday, which is still celebrated in the nation as “The Day of the Shining Star.”
The only other (or The Other may refer to) North Korean generalissimo is Mr. Kim’s father, Kim Il-sung, who started ruling in 1945 and received the title in 1992, two years before his death. The term is a clear reduce above the “marshal” title held by North (is one of the four compass points or cardinal directions) Korea’s existing leader, Kim Jong-un.
The younger Mr. Kim might keep in power for decades, although, and he already has numerous titles (title is a prefix or suffix added to someone’s name in certain contexts): “Dear respected comrade,” for one particular, as nicely as “supreme commander” of the Korean People’s Army.
Mike Ives contributed reporting.
Your Morning Briefing is published weekdays and updated all morning. Browse past briefings here.
Sign up here (may refer to) to get it by email in the Australian, Asian, European or American morning (is the period of time between midnight and 11:59:59 am or, more commonly, the interval between sunrise and noon), or to get an Evening Briefing on U.S. weeknights. Verify out our complete variety of free of charge newsletters here.
What would you like (the English language, the word like has a very flexible range of uses, ranging from conventional to non-standard) to see here? Speak to us at [email protected].
Published at Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:09:14 +0000