Friday, 27 November 2020   Subscription to updates  RSS
Friday, 27 November 2020   Subscription to updates  RSS
Популярно
19:55, 05 September 2018

Khan al-Ahmar: Israel court approves demolition of Bedouin village


Khan al-Ahmar: Israel court approves demolition of Bedouin village

Khan al-Ahmar: Israel court approves demolition of Bedouin village

Israel’s Supreme Court has rejected appeals against the demolition of a Bedouin village in the occupied West Bank whose fate has been a subject of international concern.

Judges upheld an order to raze Khan al-Ahmar, where about 180 men and women reside in shacks amongst two Jewish settlements.

Israel’s government says the structures had been constructed illegally, but Palestinians say permits are impossible to obtain.

An injunction against the demolition will expire inside seven days.

The United Nations has known as on Israel to permit the Bedouin to remain on the land, saying such demolitions are against international law.

Khan al-Ahmar, which is 8km (five miles) east of Jerusalem, was established in the early 1950s by members of a semi-nomadic tribe the UN says was displaced from the Negev desert in southern Israel.

Israel did not recognise Khan al-Ahmar as a residential location after it occupied the West Bank in the course of the 1967 Middle East war, and refused to connect the community to utilities like water and electricity.

Since 2009, residents have been fighting demolition orders issued for the wooden and corrugated iron shacks in which they live, as well as a clinic, mosque and an Italian-funded main school.

The Israeli government said the structures had been constructed on state-owned land without permits from the Israeli military which, under the 1993 Oslo Accords, has exclusive control more than construction in the 60% of the West Bank known as “Area C”.

Palestinians complain that the Israeli military refuses the vast majority of Palestinian building requests and say they are left with little selection except to create without permission.

In May possibly, the Supreme Court rejected petitions to avoid the demolitions at Khan al-Ahmar and the relocation of its residents to a internet site designated by the Israeli government near the Palestinian town of Abu Dis.

Right after the Israeli military started preparations for the demolitions in July residents filed new petitions to the Supreme Court, such as 1 asking for the original verdict to be overturned and an additional for the eviction to be delayed till they could locate someplace else to live.

Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman congratulated the court on Wednesday’s ruling upholding the demolition order, which he stated had come regardless of “the orchestrated hypocrisy of Abu Mazen [Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas], the Left and European states”.

“Nobody is above the law, no one will hold us from acting on our sovereignty and duty as a state,” he added.

The head of the Palestine Liberation Organisation’s human rights body, Ahmed al-Tamimi, warned Israel against proceeding with the demolition, calling it a “flagrant challenge to the complete world and a serious violation of the international humanitarian law and human rights”.

The UN has previously warned that international humanitarian law calls for an occupying energy to safeguard the population of the territory that it occupies, make sure its welfare and wellbeing, as effectively as the respect for its human rights.

Any destruction of home by the occupying power is prohibited, except when rendered completely required by military operations, the UN says. The in depth demolition of house is a grave breach of the Fourth Geneva Convention and may amount to a war crime, it adds.

Other than for the security of the population or crucial military reasons, international humanitarian law also prohibits the transfer of the population of an occupied territory with out the genuinely and completely informed consent of the affected people, according to the UN.

Khan al-Ahmar is one particular of 18 Bedouin communities the UN considers becoming at risk of forcible transfer due to the fact they are positioned in or subsequent to an location close to East Jerusalem slated by Israel for Jewish settlement building. The settlements are regarded illegal below international law, although Israel disputes this.

Published at Wed, 05 Sep 2018 17:30:38 +0000


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2020 News: Today's News Headlines, Breaking News & Recent News from the World
Дизайн и поддержка: GoodwinPress.ru