Wednesday, 11 December 2019   Subscription to updates  RSS
Wednesday, 11 December 2019   Subscription to updates  RSS
Популярно
21:24, 10 October 2018

Jamal Khashoggi: Trump &#039demands answers&#039 on missing Saudi


Jamal Khashoggi: Trump &#039demands answers&#039 on missing Saudi

Media playback is unsupported on your device

President Donald Trump has vowed to “get to the bottom” of the case of missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Mr Trump told reporters he had talked to the Saudi authorities “at the highest level” about Mr Khashoggi.

Mr Khashoggi, a US resident and critic of the Saudi monarchy, entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October and has not been seen given that.

Turkish authorities say Mr Khashoggi was killed. Saudi Arabia denies this.

“We can’t let this occur to reporters, to anybody,” Mr Trump said on Wednesday.

“We’re demanding everything. We want to see what’s going on there.”

The White Home said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and senior officials had spoken with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman on Tuesday and asked for more information about the predicament.

Both Turkey and Saudi Arabia are allies on the US.

Earlier on Wednesday, Turkish media outlets published CCTV footage which they say shows evidence of a plot linked to Mr Khashoggi’s disappearance.

It shows purported Saudi intelligence officers getting into and leaving Turkey by means of Istanbul airport.

What else does the video show?

Broadcast by Turkey’s TRT Globe channel and apparently obtained from security cameras, the footage shows vehicles driving up to the consulate, like black vans believed to be central to inquiries.

Groups of males believed to be Saudi are noticed entering Turkey by means of Istanbul airport, checking in at hotels and later leaving the country.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Turkish investigators are hunting into two Saudi Gulfstream jets that landed at the airport on 2 October. The video shows aircraft waiting on the tarmac.

Mr Khashoggi was going to the consulate to finalise his divorce so he could marry his fianc&eacutee, Hatice Cengiz.

He is observed on the video getting into the consulate although she waits outdoors.

Turkey’s Sabah newspaper reports that it has identified 15 members of an intelligence group it says was involved in the Saudi’s disappearance. Among them was a forensics professional, it says.

Turkey says it will conduct a search of the Istanbul consulate, while Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry mentioned the nation was “open to co-operation” and a search of the building could go ahead.

How Turkey is tightening the screw

By Mark Lowen, BBC News, Istanbul

With each and every day, leaks from the Turkish investigation are drip-fed to the media right here – and hope that Jamal Khashoggi may well nonetheless be alive fades additional.

A government supply has told me President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is sounding much more cautious than the leaks, due to the fact if he were to echo the allegations that Mr Khashoggi was murdered, it would mean kicking out the Saudi ambassador and consul common by now.

So the Turks are is providing the Saudis a little breathing space to place forward their argument, while releasing bits of incriminating details to tighten the screws. So far, I’m told, the Saudis haven’t been co-operating – hence Ankara releasing the names of the Saudi alleged hit squad on Wednesday.

There are plenty of gruesome rumours flying around over what happened to Jamal Khashoggi. Saudi Arabia nonetheless insists it really is all baseless. But this is not simply one side’s word against the other. It is video proof, pictures and intelligence against a claim of innocence so far not backed up.

Who is Jamal Khashoggi?

A critic of the crown prince, Mr Khashoggi was living in self-imposed exile in the US and writing opinion pieces for the Washington Post prior to his disappearance.

A former editor of the al-Watan newspaper, he was for years observed as close to the Saudi royal loved ones. He served as an adviser to senior Saudi officials.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

But after a number of of his close friends have been arrested, his column was cancelled by the al-Hayat newspaper and he was allegedly warned to stop tweeting, Mr Khashoggi left Saudi Arabia for the US.

Final week, the crown prince told Bloomberg News that his government was “very keen to know what happened to him”, and that Mr Khashoggi had left “soon after a handful of minutes or one hour”.

Published at Wed, 10 Oct 2018 20:01:58 +0000


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2019 News: Today's News Headlines, Breaking News & Recent News from the World
Дизайн и поддержка: GoodwinPress.ru