Jamal Khashoggi death: Trump 'not happy' with Saudi account
US President Donald Trump says he is “not happy” with Saudi Arabia’s account of the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
On Friday, Saudi Arabia for the first time admitted that Mr Khashoggi was dead, saying he was killed in a “fist fight” in its Istanbul consulate.
But that explanation has met with scepticism.
Turkish officials believe Mr Khashoggi – a critic of the Saudi government – was murdered and his physique dismembered.
“I’m not happy till we uncover the answer,” Mr Trump mentioned, adding that sanctions were a possibility, but that halting an arms deal would “hurt us far more than it would hurt them”.
Mr Trump mentioned it was “achievable” that the powerful Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman did not know about the killing.
Until Friday, Saudi Arabia had denied information of his whereabouts and insisted he had left the constructing alive.
Turkey has vowed to reveal all particulars about how Mr Khashoggi was killed.
Publicly Turkey has so far stopped brief of blaming Saudi Arabia for the killing. Turkish investigators, nevertheless, say they have audio and video proof which shows Mr Khashoggi was killed by a team of Saudi agents inside the consulate.
Police have been looking the consulate, the consul’s residence, as well as a nearby forest, exactly where officials believe his physique may have been disposed of.
What is Saudi Arabia’s version of events?
The kingdom said a fight broke out between Mr Khashoggi, who had fallen out of favour with the Saudi government, and individuals who met him in the consulate – ending with his death.
It says investigations are beneath way, and so far 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested.
Unnamed officials speaking to Reuters news agency and the New York Instances say the Saudis did not know the whereabouts of the physique following it was handed to a “local collaborator” to dispose of.
In addition to the arrests, two senior officials have been sacked more than the affair – deputy intelligence chief Ahmad al-Assiri and Saud al-Qahtani, senior aide to Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.
The Saudi authorities have but to give proof to support this version of events.
How have other people responded?
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has condemned the killing “in the strongest terms”, calling the explanations provided of the circumstances of Mr Khashoggi’s death “inadequate”.
The UK Foreign Office described it as “a terrible act” and said the people behind the killing “should be held to account”.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said numerous concerns “remain unanswered”, echoing calls for an investigation.
A quantity of US lawmakers, which includes a Republican highly vital of the Saudis, Senator Lindsey Graham, stated they have been sceptical about the report on the journalist’s death.
- Is this the finish of Saudi prince’s honeymoon?
- Why Saudi Arabia matters to the West
Australia announced it is withdrawing from an investment summit in Saudi Arabia later this month – joining a increasing boycott that contains the US, UK, Dutch and French finance ministers more than the Khashoggi killing.
Mr Khashoggi’s fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, questioned in a tweet what had happened to his body, saying: “The heart grieves, the eye tears, and with your separation we are saddened, my dear Jamal.”
The Washington Post, for which Mr Khashoggi was a contributor, has released a previously unheard interview he gave to Karen Attiah, the Worldwide Opinions editor.
In it he mentioned: “Our leaders see themselves as leaders who know very best, and people like me…are just hindering the approach for their reform.”
Published at Sat, 20 Oct 2018 21:55:03 +0000