Jamal Khashoggi case: Saudis defy 'threats' over missing writer
Saudi Arabia rejects political and economic “threats” more than missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a source quoted by state news agency SPA says.
The nation would respond to any punitive action “with a bigger 1”, the unnamed senior supply said.
Mr Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi government, vanished on 2 October soon after going to its consulate in Istanbul.
US President Donald Trump mentioned he would “punish” Saudi Arabia if it have been found accountable for killing him.
On Sunday a joint statement by the foreign ministers of the UK, France and Germany called for a credible investigation to make certain these responsible for Mr Khashoggi’s disappearance had been held to account.
“We encourage joint Saudi-Turkish efforts in that regard, and count on the Saudi Government to give a comprehensive and detailed response,” said Jeremy Hunt, Jean-Yves Le Drian and Heiko Maas.
Britain and the US are taking into consideration boycotting a main international conference in Saudi Arabia this month.
The authorities in Istanbul believe Mr Khashoggi was murdered in the consulate by Saudi agents – claims Riyadh has dismissed as “lies”.
What is the most recent from the Saudis?
The supply quoted by SPA mentioned: “The kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats or attempts to undermine it no matter whether by way of threats to impose financial sanctions or the use of political pressure.
“The kingdom also affirms that it will respond to any action with a bigger one. The Saudi economy has crucial and influential roles for the global economy.”
The Saudis have come beneath considerable international stress over the disappearance.
Diplomatic sources told the BBC’s James Landale that each US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and UK International Trade Secretary Liam Fox might not attend subsequent month’s investment conference in Riyadh, which has been dubbed “Davos in the Desert”.
Nevertheless, later White House aide Larry Kudlow told ABC News that as factors stood Mr Mnuchin was intending to go to Riyadh and would take a final choice “as new details surfaces”.
The occasion is being hosted by the kingdom’s Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman to market his reform agenda. Numerous sponsors and media groups have decided to pull out.
A joint statement of condemnation, if it is confirmed that Mr Khashoggi was killed by Saudi agents, is also becoming discussed by US and European diplomats.
What has Mr Trump stated?
The president has stated the US will inflict “serious punishment” if Saudi Arabia is found to be accountable for the death of Mr Khashoggi.
He said he would be “really upset and angry if that were the case”, but ruled out halting massive military contracts.
“I believe we’d be punishing ourselves if we did that,” he stated. “If they do not purchase it from us, they’re going to buy it from Russia or… China.”
Exactly where is the investigation now?
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevut Cavusoglu said Saudi Arabia had not so far co-operated with the investigation – regardless of a statement from Saudi Interior Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif bin Abdulaziz saying his nation wanted to uncover “the complete truth”.
Mr Cavusoglu has urged the kingdom to let Turkish officials to enter the consulate.
Saudi share reaction
On Sunday, stocks on the Tadawul All-Shares Index plummeted 7% in early trading, wiping out all the gains produced this year, before recovering slightly around noon.
In two sessions it lost $50bn (£38bn) of its $450bn capitalisation, AFP news agency reported.
Salah Shamma, of Franklin Templeton Emerging Markets Equity, told Reuters: “The market place is reacting negatively to sentiment about the Khashoggi case.”
What is alleged to have happened in Istanbul?
A Turkish safety supply has told the BBC that officials had audio and video evidence proving Mr Khashoggi, who wrote for the Washington Post, was murdered inside the consulate.
Reports recommend an assault and struggle took location in the consulate soon after Mr Khashoggi entered the creating to get paperwork for a marriage.
Turkish sources allege he was killed by a 15-robust team of Saudi agents.
Turkish Tv has broadcast CCTV footage of the moment Mr Khashoggi walked into the consulate.
Published at Sun, 14 Oct 2018 14:19:05 +0000