PALM BEACH, Fla. — President Trump declared on Sunday night that he was “not a racist” and insisted that the derogatory comment attributed to him throughout an Oval Office meeting on immigration last week did not happen.
“I’m not a racist. I am the least racist individual you have ever interviewed, that I can inform you,” Mr. Trump stated as he arrived at Trump International Golf Club for dinner with Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the majority leader.
Asked about the comments he was reported to have created, which includes a reference to African nations as “shithole countries,” Mr. Trump indicated that he did not say what had been attributed to him.
“Did you see what a variety of senators in the space said about my comments? They weren’t produced,” Mr. Trump stated, referring to two Republican senators who stated on Sunday morning speak shows that the president by no means made, or that they did not hear, racist comments about Africa and Haiti.
Asked about regardless of whether he nonetheless expects to reach a deal to extend protections for immigrants who have been brought to the United States as young children, Mr. Trump blamed Democrats for refusing to negotiate in great faith more than the plan known as DACA.
“Honestly, I don’t feel the Democrats want to make a deal,” he stated. “I feel they speak about DACA but they do not want to help the DACA individuals.”
Mr. Trump stated there had been “a lot of sticking points, but they are all Democratic sticking points.”
“They do not want safety at the border, there are men and women pouring in,” the president added. “They do not want security at the border, they do not want to stop the drugs.”
“And they want to take money away from our military, which we will not do.”
Mr. Trump said he hoped there would not be a shutdown of the government more than what he said was Democratic unwillingness to compromise on DACA.
“I do not know if there is going to be a shutdown,” he said. “There shouldn’t be, due to the fact if there is, our military gets hurt very badly. We can’t let our military be hurt.”
Speaking to reporters for about 3 minutes as he entered his golf club, the president made his 1st comments on the mistaken alert sent to Hawaii residents on Saturday warning that a ballistic missile attack was imminent.
The president said that the error was “a state point,” but that “we are going to now get involved in that.” He declined to answer a question about what the federal government would do to attempt to make positive that a mistaken alert like the one in Hawaii is not sent out again.
“I enjoy that they took duty,” he said of the state officials in Hawaii. “They took total duty. But we are going to get involved. Their attitude and their — I believe it is terrific. They took responsibility. They made a mistake.”
“We hope it won’t occur once again,” he mentioned. “Part of it is men and women are on edge, but possibly eventually we will resolve the difficulty so they will not have to be so on edge.”
Mr. Trump repeated his earlier criticism on Twitter of a Wall Street Journal report that he had boasted of a close relationship with Kim Jong-un, the North Korean dictator.
“The Wall Street Journal, as you know, quoted it totally wrong,” he mentioned.
Asked about resolving the North Korea threat, Mr. Trump mentioned: “They have got a couple of meetings scheduled, couple of extra meetings scheduled. We’re going to see what happens. Hopefully, it is all going to work out.”
“We have wonderful talks going on, the Olympics you know about. A lot of factors can come about,” the president said, referring to talks amongst North Korea and South Korea, like conversations about the North Koreans’ attending the coming Olympics in Pyeongchang.
Published at Mon, 15 Jan 2018 02:29:38 +0000