The grieving family members of a 20-year-old lady who choked to death in the course of a pancake-consuming contest filed a lawsuit against the Connecticut university she was attending in hopes of raising 𠇊wareness of the preventable dangers linked with amateur eating competitions.”
Caitlin Nelson, who was participating in Sacred Heart University’s Greek Week celebration on March 30, 2017, reportedly started to shake uncontrollably and fell to the floor soon after eating a number of pancakes in a quick period of time.
Two nursing students who have been in attendance at the school-sanctioned charity occasion attempted lifesaving measures just before police and paramedics arrived, Fairfield Police Lt. Bob Kalamaras mentioned at the time. The household’s lawsuit claims responding officers found a mass of pancake paste “like concrete” in Nelson’s airway.
Nelson, of Clark, N.J., was rushed to St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport, and later transferred to New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Health-related Center in New York, where she died. Kalamaras described the incident as a “tragic occasion that started out as anything fun.”
�itlin’s household is bringing this case to expose the dangers linked with amateur consuming contests and to assist stop other families from possessing to endure this type of preventable tragedy,” Katie Mesner-Hage, of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder, which represents the loved ones, stated in a statement. “These contests are drastically a lot more harmful than people understand and it’s critically important for the public —਎specially educational institutions, to recognize that particular foods are safer than others and a modicum of forethought can actually save lives.”
The household, who had tragically lost Caitlin Nelson’s dad, a Port Authority officer, in the Sept. 11 terror attacks, donated the aspiring social worker’s organs after her death.
Published at Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:53:08 +0000