(Want to get this briefing by email? Here’s the sign-up.)
Very good evening. Here’s the most current.
1. The Property approved a plan to maintain the government funded into January — while kicking fights more than issues like immigration and surveillance into the new year. The Senate is anticipated to pass it quickly.
And Republicans are gearing up for what are probably to be bruising midterm elections in November. Midterms are inevitably referendums on the celebration that controls the White House, and President Trump has the lowest approval rating of any modern day president this early in his tenure.
The tax bill has provided Republicans a victory to speak about, but Democrats are up in polls and donations.
2. In an act of defiance against the Trump administration, the U.N. Common Assembly condemned the U.S. decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
In spite of President Trump’s threat to reduce aid to the resolution’s supporters, the largely symbolic measure was approved by a vote of 128 to 9.
three. In Catalonia, separatist parties were poised to hold on to a narrow majority in elections for a regional parliament, according to practically full official benefits. Above, the vote count.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of Spain called the elections hoping to reshuffle the political deck, calculating that Catalan voters would punish the secessionist leaders who had provoked the country’s worst constitutional crisis in decades.
That gamble appeared not to have paid off.
4. Decades right after the Ford Motor Company tried to tackle sexual misconduct at two Chicago plants, new allegations of abuse raise concerns about the possibility of adjust.
On “The Every day,” we speak to our reporter Catrin Einhorn, who spent months interviewing girls who had skilled sexual harassment in Ford factories. And we hear from 1 of the girls she spoke to.
5. Dozens of key U.S. employers — like Amazon and Goldman Sachs — placed recruitment ads on Facebook that had been restricted to certain age groups, an investigation by ProPublica and The Occasions found.
The practice raises concerns about discrimination against older workers. “Once you attain your 50s, you could as nicely be dead,” said Mark Edelstein, above, a 58-year-old job hunter.
six. Grisly news from Asia and Australia: A fire that appeared to have began in a parking garage consumed an eight-story constructing in Jecheon, South Korea, killing at least 29 people. Most of the dead had been trapped in a public sauna on the second floor.
And in Melbourne, Australia, 19 men and women had been injured by a man who drove an S.U.V. into a crowd. The authorities are searching for a motive, and stated the suspect had a history of mental illness and drug abuse.
7. Could a metropolis of 30 million folks end up underwater?
Authorities say it’s only a matter of time for Jakarta, Indonesia’s quickly-sinking capital, which must contend with man-made troubles and mounting threats from climate modify. This is the latest post in our series “Changing Climate, Altering Cities.”
eight. Would you like NASA to fly a drone across Saturn’s biggest moon, or to send a probe to gather samples from a duck-shaped comet?
From a dozen proposals to the agency’s New Frontiers competitors — not as opposed to an interplanetary “Shark Tank” for a forthcoming robotic mission — NASA announced those two as finalists.
Each and every team will get $4 million and about a year to flesh out its idea. NASA will choose in mid-2019 which a single to build, and the launch is anticipated by the finish of 2025.
9. One particular much more question: Is that cute Christmas toy a spy?
Numerous manufacturers are advertising web-connected gadgets for youngsters this holiday season. But after a device is online, it is potentially exposed to hackers who can gain access to sensitive information through microphones and cameras.
“Parents require to be aware of what they are getting and bringing property to their youngsters,” a cybersecurity researcher stated.
10. Ultimately,Samantha Bee discussed the evangelical Christians who pushed for the White House to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. She showed footage of one particular evangelical leader saying that the president had signaled end instances.
“Of course, Armageddon is the one particular issue that Trump occurs to get accomplished with absolute precision,” she joked.
Have a great night.
Your Evening Briefing is posted at 6 p.m. Eastern.
And don’t miss Your Morning Briefing, posted weekdays at six a.m. Eastern, and Your Weekend Briefing, posted at 6 a.m. Sundays.
Want to catch up on past briefings? You can browse them here.
What did you like? What do you want to see right here? Let us know at [email protected].
Published at Thu, 21 Dec 2017 23:28:04 +0000