Thursday, 24 September 2020   Subscription to updates  RSS
Thursday, 24 September 2020   Subscription to updates  RSS
Популярно
9:12, 15 December 2017

Australia ‘Failed’ Abused Children for Decades, Royal Commission Finds


Australia ‘Failed’ Abused Children for Decades, Royal Commission Finds

Australia ‘Failed’ Abused Children for Decades, Royal Commission Finds

Advertisement

SYDNEY, Australia — A royal commission investigating the sexual abuse of children in Australia located Friday that the nation was gripped by an epidemic dating back decades, with tens of thousands of young children sexually abused in schools, religious organizations and other institutions.

The commission, the highest type of investigation in Australia, urged government action on its 189 recommendations, such as the establishment of a new National Office for Kid Safety and penalties for those who suspect abuse and fail to alert the police, which includes priests who hear about abuse in confessionals. It also urged Australia’s Roman Catholic leadership to press Rome to finish mandatory celibacy for priests.

“Tens of thousands of young children have been sexually abused in several Australian institutions,” said the report, which was particularly crucial of Catholic organizations. “We will in no way know the true quantity. Whatever the quantity, it is a national tragedy, perpetrated more than generations inside a lot of of our most trusted institutions.”

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull stated all Australians must read the report.

“I want to thank and honor the courage of the survivors and their households who’ve told, typically for the very first time, the dreadful stories of abuse that they received from folks who truly owed them love and protection,” Mr. Turnbull mentioned.

The commission’s chairman, Justice Peter McClellan, said that the panel heard from far more than 1,000 witnesses over practically 15 months in assessing the magnitude of the abuse.

“It is not a case of a couple of rotten apples,” the report stated. “Society’s key institutions have seriously failed. In many circumstances these failings have been exacerbated by a manifestly inadequate response to the abused particular person. The problems have been so widespread, and the nature of the abuse so heinous, that it is tough to comprehend.”

Australia produced the commission in 2012 to investigate decades of sexual abuse in religious institutions, schools and other establishments — the only country in the world so far to initiate such a sweeping government-led inquiry. Much more than 4,000 institutions have been implicated in abuse allegations, the commission discovered.

Australian government investigators identified 4,444 victims of abuse and at least 1,880 suspected abusers from 1980 to 2015. Most of these suspected of abuse were Catholic priests and religious brothers. The report released Friday said 62 percent of the survivors who told the commission they have been abused in religious institutions have been abused in a Catholic facility.

Responding to the findings, Archbishop Denis Hart of Melbourne presented “our unconditional apology for this suffering and a commitment to ensuring justice for those impacted.”

He stated numerous of the panel’s recommendations would have a considerable impact on the way the Catholic Church operates in Australia.

“Central to this Royal Commission is the painful truth that so many kids have been abused, trust was destroyed and innocence lost,” the archbishop stated. “They are sons and daughters, brothers and sisters — this must by no means have occurred. As a bishop I express my deepest sorrow.”

The inquiry, which price the Australian government 373 million Australian dollars, or $286 million, was unmatched in its scope in examining a scandal that has shaken the Roman Catholic hierarchy worldwide.

Advocates on Friday outdoors Government Property in Canberra.CreditLukas Coch/European Pressphoto Agency

“Our inquiry revealed quite a few situations where leaders of religious institutions knew about allegations of child sexual abuse but failed to take effective action, frequently with catastrophic consequences for youngsters,” the report said.

The most damaging revelations about child sexual abuse have centered on scandals in towns like Ballarat, the hometown of Cardinal George Pell, who this year became the highest-ranking Roman Catholic prelate to be formally charged with sexual offenses.

In Ballarat, a police officer investigated a pedophile ring at neighborhood Catholic schools and mentioned up to 30 victims had given that committed suicide.

The charges brought in June against Cardinal Pell, one particular of Pope Francis’ best advisers, followed years of criticism that he had at ideal overlooked, and at worst covered up, the widespread abuse of young children by clergymen in Australia.

In addition to calling for the establishment of a National Office for Kid Security, the commission urged passage of laws that penalize those who fail to alert the police if they suspect an adult “was sexually abusing or had sexually abused a kid.”

Delving into sensitive territory for the Catholic Church, the report suggested that clergy be necessary to report suspected abuse that they hear in the confessional booth. Church officials, even so, argue that confidentiality is integral to the ritual, and Archbishop Hart took concern with the proposal.

“I would really feel terribly conflicted, and I would attempt even tougher to get that individual outdoors confessional, but I can’t break the seal,” he stated, referring to the seal of absolute secrecy around what’s mentioned in the confessional. “The penalty for any priest breaking the seal is excommunication, getting cast out of the church, so it’s a true, serious, spiritual matter,” he added.

The panel also suggested that the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference pressure the church’s leadership in Rome to “consider introducing voluntary celibacy for diocesan clergy,” saying that mandatory celibacy for priests contributed to youngster abuse.

On that front, Archbishop Hart mentioned, “I undoubtedly will see that the bishops pass on that recommendation to the Holy See and they will then determine.” But he added, “I believe that there are actual values in celibacy.”

Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who had referred to as for the establishment of the royal commission, said that previous efforts to conduct such an inquiry faced resistance, despite efforts by whistle-blowers to expose the abuses.

“Increasingly as a lot more and much more survivors came forward, the question became, how do we respond to this?” she said. “There have been a quantity of elements to consider that troubled me fairly deeply.”

She mentioned Australians have been shocked not only by the range of the abuse that has been brought to light, but the systematic nature of the cover-ups.

“It has already changed the nation,” Ms. Gillard said. “Never once again can we be naïve about the depth and breadth of this difficulty.”

A version of this post appears in print on , on Page A12 of the New York edition with the headline: Australian Inquiry Finds Decades-Long Epidemic of Kid Abuse. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

Advertisement

Published at Fri, 15 Dec 2017 06:19:02 +0000


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2020 News: Today's News Headlines, Breaking News & Recent News from the World
Дизайн и поддержка: GoodwinPress.ru